Kinsale Community Orchard has been planted at the site of the Sports and Leisure Complex in conjunction with Saile Community Association and is now maintained in collaboration with Donal Chambers of Kinsale College. Fruit & Nut trees have also been planted in 3 residential areas in Kinsale and at the Allotment site at Ringrone.
Interest in developing Community Garden, like TTK had at Sean Hales Terrace in the past, possibly at this location.
Margaret Thuillier, Mary Minihane and Mary Heffernan have maintained the Edible Landscaping trail, with some helpers, over the last number of years. This is marked on Kinsale Maps.
Plans for 2019
- Work with Tidy towns and Kinsale College to develop and link biodiversity areas
- Continue to highlight invasive species to the relevant authorities so action can be taken
- Sow & Grow Workshops
- Develop Commoge Marsh area – build centre- connect with Saile
Kinsale Community Energy Project has been set up.
- Funding application has been put in to prepare Energy Master Plan for the area by Donal Chambers and Elizabeth Creed.
- Application under new Community Energy Grant Scheme under consideration
- Public meeting being planned for Q1 2109
- Phase 3 for KCEP is Community Energy Generation – phase 1 & 2 will enable capacity building and interest in the community for same
Waste Reduction Forum
5 events run through 2018 in collaboration with Plastic Free Kinsale and Tidy Towns.
Plans for 2019 include
- Further Zero Waste Workshops (Margaret Thuillier, Olivia Ormston)
- Composting workshop/ Community composter
- Repair Café
- Skill share
- Work with Clubs etc in Kinsale following on from successful ‘Green’ Open at Kinsale Tennis Club